July 26, 2006

Home Alone

Carmelized Shrimp
Emily is working in the evenings this week, so I'm left to fend for myself for dinner. I've taken the opportunity to experiment a little. On monday, I made Indian food, Saag Gosht (lamb with spinach) and a chick pea dish. I brought them to work the next day and fed the leftovers to my coworkers.Last night, I made a vietnamese dish - caramelized shrimp. It was very easy and tasty.

My version of the recipe: (the original recipe comes from Charles Phan of The Slanted Door)

Sauce

  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
Stir Fry
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 small onion, sliced
  • 2 scallions, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1/2 lb shrimp (approx)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp chili oil
Mix the sauce ingredients together, dissolving the sugar. (The original recipe calls for bringing it to a boil to dissolve the sugar, I didn't need to.)

Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet.
Stir fry the garlic and onion until they are golden brown.
Add the shrimp, pepper, and the sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens up a bit.
Add the scallions and cook for about 30 sec.

I served it on rice. Cook and plate the rice before you start the stir fry, the dish comes together fast.

No comments: